LAST UPDATED AND EFFECTIVE: July 5, 2023
1. Who Is Collecting Your Personal Data?
If you are a resident of California or a resident of the country of Canada, the section below titled “Privacy Rights for California and Canadian Residents” includes a description of your rights and our handling of your Personal Data.
2. What Personal Data Do We Collect?
The amount and type of information that Davey Tree gathers depends on the nature of our interaction with you. In each case, Davey Tree collects information only insofar as is necessary or appropriate to fulfill the purpose of your interaction with us. For example, if you sign up for a Davey Tree account, we ask you to provide a username and email address. If you engage in a transaction with us, we ask you to provide personal and financial information required to process your transaction. If you engage in a transaction with us through your employer, we also collect information about your affiliation and contact information with your employer.
We collect the following information that identifies you (“Personal Data”):
From you directly
From third parties such as public sources, lead generation services, social media, event organizers, trade organizations, and other commercially available sources
From the device or browser through which you access the Site using technologies such as cookies, web beacons, or widgets (“Log Data”)
Much of this Log Data does not identify you personally. However, we may associate this Log Data with your Personal Data. When we do, we will treat any such combined data as Personal Data until such time as it can no longer be associated with you or used to identify you.
We may combine information that we receive from the different sources described above; for example, we may create a profile based on Personal Information provided directly from you and input information regarding your interaction history with sales representatives into that profile.
Davey Tree does not collect all of the above types of information in all cases. Davey Tree may also collect information in an anonymized or aggregate format (in a way that does not identify you) and which is not subject to this Policy. Davey Tree will not seek to collect certain types of sensitive or protected Personal Data from you, which includes but is not limited to your racial or ethnic origin, physical or mental health, religious beliefs, or biometric information.
3. What Is The Lawful Basis for Processing Your Personal Data?
We collect your Personal Data after receiving your explicit consent to do so. You provide this consent by checking the box prompt before submitting your data to us.
Our lawful basis for processing the Personal Information described in this Notice depends on the type of Personal Information and the specific context in which we collect it.
We will normally process your Personal Information from you only (1) where you have provided your consent for us to do so, (2) where we need the Personal Information to perform a contract with you or provide services or goods to you that you have requested, or (3) where the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your data protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms. In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to process your Personal Information.
You are able to revoke your consent given to us for the use of your Personal Information at any time. Please note that even if you revoke your consent, we may continue to use your Personal Information if we have a separate lawful basis for doing so.
4. How Do We Use Your Personal Data?
We use your Personal Data in several ways including:
- to fulfill your product or service needs;
- to enable interactions between you and Davey Tree;
- to register your online account;
- to maintain our own accounts for billing and delivery;
- to advise you about products, services, offers, or events that may be of interest to you;
- for our own internal business purposes, such as to help us tailor our services to you and other customers, improve or evaluate the use, performance, and safety of our programs, systems and technologies, to evaluate and improve the quality of your user, customer or vendor experience, to design new products and services, to conduct data analysis and testing, and to maintain proper business and other relevant records;
- to provide customer service to you, such as a service estimate; and
- for any other purpose that is compatible with the foregoing for which we have a legal basis or for which you provide consent.
In addition, we may share your Personal Data with third-party services and advertising networks, such as Google Display Network or Google Analytics, that collect, monitor, and analyze Log Data to deliver online behavioral advertising that serves ads to you on Davey Tree’s behalf on other sites throughout the Internet. Davey Tree has enabled the following Google Analytics features: Google Signals, Granular Location & Device Data Collection, and Advanced Settings for Ads Personalization. When you visit the Site, you will have an opportunity to manage these Google Analytics features in a banner at the bottom of your screen. You may choose to accept all of the features, opt-out of all of the features, or manage your preferences to some level of usage of the features in between all or none. Note that if you disable, delete, or refuse to accept usage of the Google Analytics features, you may not be able to use some features of the Site and/or some of our pages might not display properly.
5. How Do We Disclose Your Personal Data?
While we seek to limit disclosure of your Personal Data, there are certain circumstances in which we may disclose or transfer your Personal Data to certain third parties to perform services on behalf of Davey Tree. By checking the box prompt before submitting your Personal Data to us, you expressly consent to our disclosing your Personal Data, as set forth below.
Disclosing Personal Data To Affiliates, Successors, and Agents
- our parent companies, subsidiaries, and/or affiliates;
- successors who acquire your Personal Data if we sell, merge, reorganize, dissolve, or similarly change our ownership or corporate structure;
- other companies we engage to perform business-related functions, such as:
- vendors who provide services to our customers;
- vendors who provide services to us;
- third parties with whom we partner to do business;
- marketing agencies and analytics services;
- database and software service providers;
- backup and disaster recovery service providers;
- email service providers;
- payment processors;
- our insurance carriers; and
- professional service providers, such as consultants, attorneys, and accountants.
We only disclose your Personal Data to companies that have agreed not to retain, use, or disclose it, except as necessary to perform services for us.
Disclosing Data Through Social Media
Davey Tree maintains social networking accounts and integrated tools on the Site that help us interact with you through social networking websites, such as Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram, Pinterest, and Twitter. We may also work with application developers who specialize in social commerce so you can connect to us, share your interests, express opinions about products and services, purchase our products and services, and generate interest in our products and services among members of your social networks. Using these integrated tools enables you to disclose your Personal Data to other individuals or the public, depending on the settings that you have established with social networking websites. If you use social networking website features integrated in the Site, we may collect or disclose the information you transfer to us, including your Personal Data.
If you do not want us to be able to access information about you, including Personal Data, from social networking websites, you must limit data collection and disclosure in the privacy settings on the Third Party Sites. We reserve the right to remove the Personal Data or other data of any person for any reason we, in our sole discretion, deem appropriate.
Legally Compelled Disclosure of Personal Data
We may disclose your Personal Data if required to do so by law or in our good faith belief that such action is necessary to:
- comply with a legal obligation;
- protect or defend our rights, interests, or property, or that of third parties;
- prevent or investigate possible wrongdoing in connection with the Site;
- act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of users of the Site or the public; or
- protect against legal liability.